Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant
Posting start date: October 13, 2023
Reporting to: Director, Legal Services
Location: Remote working opportunity for a candidate in a major Canadian city (flexible to attend work in our National Office if the successful candidate resides in the National Capital Region).
Who We Are:
The National Police Federation (NPF) represents ~20,000 RCMP Members serving across Canada and internationally. We are the largest police union in Canada. The NPF is focused on improving public safety for all Canadians, including our Members by advocating for much-needed investment in the public safety continuum. This includes investments in police resourcing and modern equipment, as well as social programs including health, addiction, and housing supports to enhance safety and livability in the many communities we serve, large and small, across Canada.
Our mission is to provide strong, fair and progressive representation to promote and enhance the rights of our Members across the country.
Our head office is located in Ottawa but over half our staff work remotely across Canada. We stay closely connected through our active internal communications program and up-to-date I.T. tools.
Why Work with the NPF?
- Competitive compensation package.
- Generous Group Benefit package including Health Care Spending Account.
- Group Registered Savings Plan (GRSP).
- Professional development opportunities.
- An inclusive, passionate, and fun team environment.
Legal Matters and Inquiries
- Perform legal clerical duties such as maintaining records, accounts, file triage and file management.
- Proactively provide support to in-house counsel, communicate with key stakeholders in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Liaise with the NPF department of Finance to ensure financial integrity of files.
- Proactively identify and monitor applicable deadlines. Draft retainer letters and legal communiques.
- Develop, maintain, and optimize the NPF file management systems.
- Assist with developing and/or maintaining Legal Services tools, trackers, and databases.
- Assist with legal data analysis.
Legal Services Administration
- Schedule meetings, prepare agendas and assemble meeting documentation.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and complete expense claims in accordance with NPF policies.
- Draft briefing memos, letters, reports, presentation, minutes, and other documents
- Assist with developing Legal Services standard operating procedures and other resource documents.
- Assist with the onboarding of new legal services employees.
- Act as software and database administrator as required.
- College diploma or certificate in Office Administration, Business Administration, or a related field and some years of experience in office administration or in a related field OR a high school diploma with several years (3-5) of experience in office administration or in a related field.
- Minimum one year of experience working in a busy legal environment.
- Bilingualism is required.
- Must be available for overnight travel 4/year.
- Must be eligible to obtain Secret Level Security Clearance.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office productivity tools.
- High degree of comfort with confidentiality principles.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations, new ideas, and concepts.
- Project Management skills.
- Sound judgement and tact.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Basic problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to multi-task; take the initiative; be proactive; flexible.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse workforce and facilitate successful performance in a team-based environment.
The National Police Federation hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified people to apply.
While we welcome applications from all interested individuals, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.