The National Police Federation is currently hiring a Bilingual Local Area Representative (LAR) Program Coordinator to join our team.
Overview of the Role: The Local Area Representative Program Coordinator (LARPC) supports the Local Area Representative (LAR) Program by coordinating administrative functions across multiple departments. These include supporting LAR recruitment, elections and onboarding, training, maintenance of the LAR roster, and monitoring of compliance with LAR policies. The LARPC serves as a primary point of contact for LARs to request and receive support from the NPF National Office.
Reporting to: Member Services Department
Location: Remote working opportunity for a candidate in a major Canadian city (flexible to attend work in our National Office if the successful candidate resides in the National Capital Region).
Who We Are:
The National Police Federation (NPF) represents ~20,000 RCMP Members serving across Canada and internationally. We are the largest police union in Canada. The NPF is focused on improving public safety for all Canadians, including our Members by advocating for much-needed investment in the public safety continuum. This includes investments in police resourcing and modern equipment, as well as social programs including health, addiction, and housing supports to enhance safety and livability in the many communities we serve, large and small, across Canada.
Our head office is located in Ottawa but our 70+ staff work remotely across Canada. We stay closely connected through our up-to-date I.T. tools and by living our internal values: Inclusion, Innovation, Appreciation, Collaboration, and Trust.
Why Work with the NPF?
- Competitive compensation package.
- Generous Group Benefit package including Health Care Spending and Taxable Spending Accounts.
- Group Registered Savings Plan (GRSP).
- Professional development opportunities.
- An inclusive, passionate, and fun team environment.
LAR Files & Reporting
- Support the distribution and tracking of files assigned to LARs through the MSC.
- Record and monitor LARs acknowledgement and receipt of assigned files from the Member Service Center (MSC)
- Review concluded files to ensure timely submission and compliance with LAR policies.
- Confirm that all LAR assigned files are tracked and documented.
Support for LARs and MSC
- Ensure the MSC is apprised of LARs that cannot fulfill their duties (sick leave, suspended, acting appointments, deployment or training).
- Maintain an up-to-date list of LARs that are active or on leave as well as monitor those who are not accepting new files due to workload.
- Provide guidance to the proper NPF resource for LARs when they request additional information, or they are unsure about a process or action.
- Facilitate mentorship for LARs with LROs and the Board by collaboratively working with the LRO Program Manager (LRPM) and the Chair of the Member Services Committee or designate.
- Work with LARs to leverage professional development opportunities – present those to the Member Services Committee for possible budgetary planning.
Nominations and Elections
- Maintain an up-to-date list of LAR vacancies and positions up for re-election.
- Provide support to the Nominations and Elections Committee (NEC) in coordinating the electoral process, including liaising with candidates to have a complete campaign package.
- Coordinate communication to LARs regarding the Annual General Meeting and the Voting Delegate nomination/election process.
- Coordinate with the NEC regarding the nomination, campaign, and electoral process for Voting Delegates to the AGM.
- Monitor and provide feedback to the Member Services Committee on the overall performance of LARs for the purpose of professional development, training, discipline, and future Board recruitment.
Data Review and Maintenance
- In working with the Member Services Committee, identify challenges and issues of LARs with the respect to the quality of service and information they provide to Members.
- Report any trends or any activity to the Member Services Committee that requires special attention.
LAR Team Support
- Ensure New LARs are onboarded and attend LAR Training
- Assist with data collection for administration of LAR honoraria and tax slip preparation.
- Ensure LARs are properly and adequately offboarded should they not run or get re-elected.
- Identify LARs to support regional events and NPF Sponsored events and training opportunities.
- Maintain current availability status of LARs.
- Ensure LAR Compliance of IT and cybersecurity programs and policies.
- Help LARs when making claims to the NPF for LAR Duties
- Coordinate the receipt of LAR expense claims, review of claims for accuracy, maintain expense claim approval workflow, liaise with Finance department as require.
- Maintain LAR HUB site for updates, when required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or relevant experience.
- Five years proven program coordination experience.
- Experience in a labour union is an asset.
- Experience in providing support to a dispersed workforce.
- Fully bilingual.
- Strong leadership and ability to influence.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office productivity tools.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to build professional relationships.
- Travel required 4-6/year.
- Open to working evenings and/or weekends to accommodate time zones, crises, and issues.
- Ability to obtain Enhanced Reliability Status Security Clearance.
- Knowledge of policy compliance.
- Knowledge of privacy protocols/compliance.
- Superior oral and written capabilities.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to take complex information, distil, and communicate to a variety of audiences in layman’s terms.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations, new ideas and concepts.
- Sound judgement and tact.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Problem-solving mindset, innovative thinker.
- Ability to multi-task; take the initiative; be proactive.
The National Police Federation hires based on merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified people to apply.
While we welcome applications from all interested individuals, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.